There are people who stay in unhappy relationships so long that the resentment builds up and they feel they have no choice but to end the relationship. They don’t voice their unhappiness. They go with the flow hoping something will change and the problems will be instantly solved. Then there are those who “try” with everything they have to make the relationship work before they leave. These people are problem solvers who feel they owe it to the relationship to try to find solutions to the problems before they throw in the towel. We may think we are doing all we can to solve the problems in a relationship; however, the use of a counselor can be of great benefit in teaching us new ways of solving problems and getting our needs met. You can get help before it’s too late.
Common Couples Concerns Include:
- Ineffective communication
- Intimacy concerns
- Infidelity issues
- Financial stress
- Difficulties committing to life changing events (e.g., getting married or having children)
Benefits of Couples Counseling:
- You will learn how to resolve conflict in a healthy manner.
- You will learn communication skills that will help you not only listen to your partner but, to also process what your partner is saying.
- You will learn how to state your needs clearly and openly without resentment or anger.
- You will learn how to be assertive without being offensive. Both partners need to be able to talk about their issues without fear of hurting the other.
- You will learn that you can get what you need without having to make demands and engage in conflict.
- You will learn to process and work through unresolved issues. Couples counseling offers a safe environment for expressing any unhappiness you feel. Getting your feelings out into the open with the help of a trained professional may be all you need. You may find that your partner is more than willing to work together to solve the problems in the relationship. You may also find that your partner is unwilling to do the work. If so, you are then free to leave the relationship without any guilt because you have given it your best shot.
Family counseling brings parents, siblings and extended family members such as aunts, uncles, and grandparents into the treatment process. The family system has its own structure and patterns of communication, which may be defined by parenting style, personalities and other influences.
Every individual is, in part, a product of the environment they grew up in. Family plays an important role in our emotional, physical, and spiritual development since each individual in the family system impacts and is impacted by the others. For example, one person’s illness can change the lives and interactions of all the other family members.
Common Family Concerns Include:
- Frequent arguements in the family
- Children not following discipline
- Family stress due to a particular family member
- Family member feeling isolated
Benefits of Family Counseling Include:
- Understand how their family functions
- Identify strengths and weaknesses within the family system
- Set goals and develop strategies to resolve challenges
- Improve communication skills
- Make the entire family stronger